Thursday, May 8, 2008

Unmatch-ed

So this morning I get the pleasure of reading Jenn's blog. She is truly an amazing writer fostering a talent the rest of the world needs to experience. Said blog, is full of wonderful stories about Saint Rob whom she met on match. Funny she should mention that because one of my catch-up blogs was going to be about my recent gaggle of first dates. *read -- first dates*

Many of you are familiar with the date that is now doing 2 years in prison for real estate fraud. However, this is no longer my best story to come out of match. Moving to a new city can be intimating and finding new friends let alone a date can be a full-time job. Well, thankfully Fabulous Amy has helped in the friends department. Being another single, fun-loving female in her 30s, I am not sure she is going to be so willing to share the men -- hence the, albeit brief, return of my match profile.

There is an extensive song and dance associated with the match world that I will leave for another post. After chatting on and off line with a man that approached me on match, we decided on coffee -- harmless enough, public place and lots of exits. We chatted for a good couple of hours. About half way through the evening I sensed this wasn't really a match but the conversation was friendly enough. He seemed taken back by my candor -- I know...shocking!

After discussing the fact that I was probably too straightforward, etc. My world continued to move along at lightening pace -- art exhibits, Irish Pub band, little out of the way coffee shops. No second thoughts really on the dating scene as I had decided my time was better spent getting to know my new city.

I get a phone call that weekend from the coffee date. He wants to tell me he thinks I am grand -- of course, who doesn't? He also explained that he did check out 1/2 way through the date because there were some things about his life he wasn't comfortable discussing in public. I understood, not all of us air our dirty laundry on Front Street. He called to tell me what that "something" was and we could go from there.

My tendency is to be very open-minded and not searching for my soul-mate, I figured what was the harm in chatting about it. Then came the silence, and then came the "something". I am still not sure I was ready to hear..."I am a cross-dresser". Huh? Wait? Rinse and repeat. (Casey, wipe the coffee off the computer screen).

Now I am not thoughtless or careless and I understand everyone has there "thing". However, when you start talking gender reassignment, etc. with a stranger I have to wonder. I did fail to see the possible benefit of shoe sharing, as it was pointed out to me, but for now I think I’ll stick to my own wardrobe.

Needless to say, this only sealed the deal that I am taking the summer off dating!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thankfully I had swallowed my coffee before I read... Phew All I can say is "thank God for Marc". He's not perfect, but I am no longer dating. Miss Ya Chica

Jenn And The City said...

Awww, Casey, you have good stories too! I still think VV could have leveraged the wardrobe and cosmetic advantage to dating a cross dresser.....miss you guys mucho.

Jenn